The award was established in 2001 by Army Times Publishing Company (renamed in 2015, Sightline Media Group). The initial program highlighted exemplary achievement by a service member beyond the call of duty.
In the past 17 years, the annual Service Members of the Year Award has grown into a much-anticipated event. The awards ceremony has become one of Washington's A-list events attended by Congressional, military and community leaders.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
Nominees must be serving in the military (active duty, Guard or Reserve) through August 2017 with exceptional service or achievements occurring between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
Nominees must demonstrate:
- A high level of professionalism
- Concern for fellow service members
- Commitment to community service
Sightline Media Group, through the respective marketing and editorial staffs of each service's publication (Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times), will make the Military Times Service Members of the Year selections from among the nominations received. Finalists will be contacted in June of 2018.
The Overall Winner of each branch receives the following:
- A VIP trip to Washington, DC for activities and a formal awards ceremony
- All-expenses paid attendance for 2 (transportation to and from Washington, D.C.; lodging and meals; local transportation)
- Formal awards reception and ceremony on Capitol Hill
- Professional photographs and video of the awards ceremony
- A feature in the Military Times websites, newspapers and on the Military Times Service Members of the Year website
NEW AWARDS FOR 2018
This year, two new awards have been added to recognize current and former service members for their outstanding accomplishments out of uniform.
The first-ever Military Times Rebootcamp Entrepreneur of the Year and Military Times Veteran of the Year awards will be presented during the annual Military Times Service Members of the Year ceremony.
- The Military Times Rebootcamp Entrepreneur of the Year award recognizes service members and veterans of all military branches who start companies and nonprofits that make a big impact. Beyond the numbers on company balance sheets, we also evaluate the extent to which the company and its founder share their success with the larger community through charitable efforts and volunteer projects.
- The Military Times Veteran of the Year Award recognizes and honors an exceptional veteran who, through his character, spirit, and exceptional public service sets an example, and makes an extraordinary difference in their community, for their comrade veterans and for awareness of essential military and veteran issues.